BYU track: Ward, Bringhurst, Dalton to represent Cougars at NCAA Championships
“I think all three have an excellent chance to score points for our team,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “Now that he is healthy, I think Chase Dalton will surprise some people. Braydon Bringhurst has been one of the most consistent pole vaulters in the nation and Jared Ward has some lofty goals. We have a good chance to have all three come home as all-Americans."
Ward qualified to compete in the 3000 and 5000 meters. He posted the 12th-best time in the nation in the 3000 meters at the MPSF Championships, qualifying with a time of 7:52.51. He recorded the fifth best time in the nation in the 5000 meters, with a 13:42.17, at the UW Husky Classic. Ward placed ninth in the 5000 meters at the 2013 NCAA Indoor Championships.
Bringhurst enters the meet with the seventh-best mark in the pole vault in the nation with a 5.50 meter vault at the Lobo Collegiate Open, a personal best. He finished in first place twice this season and in the top three in every meet in which he has competed. He took second at the MPSF Championships.
Dalton posted the 14th highest point total in the heptathlon this season at the Air Force Invitational with 5621 points, good for first place and a personal best. It was also the second-best score in BYU history. He took first in the heptathlon at the BYU Indoor Invitational. He has also set new personal bests in seven events this year.
Based off last year’s team scores, the Cougars will need to score 10 points or more to crack the top-20 in the team standings, a goal Eyestone said is very doable and would be considered a success.
Dalton will compete in the heptathlon starting Friday morning with the long jump, shot put and high jump. He will conclude with the 60 meter hurdles, pole vault and 1000 meters on Saturday morning. Bringhurst will compete in the pole vault Saturday at 5:30 p.m. MDT. Ward will run the 5000 meters Friday night at 8:25 p.m. MDT and the 3000 meters Saturday at 7:40.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 36
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a... 36
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us... 33
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 33