BYU track: Ward, Bringhurst, Dalton to represent Cougars at NCAA Championships
“I think all three have an excellent chance to score points for our team,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “Now that he is healthy, I think Chase Dalton will surprise some people. Braydon Bringhurst has been one of the most consistent pole vaulters in the nation and Jared Ward has some lofty goals. We have a good chance to have all three come home as all-Americans."
Ward qualified to compete in the 3000 and 5000 meters. He posted the 12th-best time in the nation in the 3000 meters at the MPSF Championships, qualifying with a time of 7:52.51. He recorded the fifth best time in the nation in the 5000 meters, with a 13:42.17, at the UW Husky Classic. Ward placed ninth in the 5000 meters at the 2013 NCAA Indoor Championships.
Bringhurst enters the meet with the seventh-best mark in the pole vault in the nation with a 5.50 meter vault at the Lobo Collegiate Open, a personal best. He finished in first place twice this season and in the top three in every meet in which he has competed. He took second at the MPSF Championships.
Dalton posted the 14th highest point total in the heptathlon this season at the Air Force Invitational with 5621 points, good for first place and a personal best. It was also the second-best score in BYU history. He took first in the heptathlon at the BYU Indoor Invitational. He has also set new personal bests in seven events this year.
Based off last year’s team scores, the Cougars will need to score 10 points or more to crack the top-20 in the team standings, a goal Eyestone said is very doable and would be considered a success.
Dalton will compete in the heptathlon starting Friday morning with the long jump, shot put and high jump. He will conclude with the 60 meter hurdles, pole vault and 1000 meters on Saturday morning. Bringhurst will compete in the pole vault Saturday at 5:30 p.m. MDT. Ward will run the 5000 meters Friday night at 8:25 p.m. MDT and the 3000 meters Saturday at 7:40.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: email@example.com
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Hancock leads Penn State into final vs. BYU
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- After last year's bowl loss, BYU seniors...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Miracle Bowl, 34 years later: I don't... 17
- Stewart has brought back an identity... 16
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU... 15