I suspect Mayor Ralph Becker has never asked his traffic engineers to check out the ridiculous stoplights in his city which cause traffic to stop without reason.
I refer to stoplights at 17th South, 3rd South and 2nd South crossing 7th East.
These lights are on a regular rotation all night long when there is no cross traffic on 7th East. They should only be triggered when someone needs to cross 7th East. I travel these lights along 7th East at 4 a.m. and I always get caught, along with other drivers at the lights.
Another light, not in Salt Lake, at Van Winkel and 56th South, doesn’t allow one to make a left turn off Van Winkel onto 56th even when there is no traffic coming in the opposite direction.
Add up all the unnecessarily idling cars throughout the year and you get a significant amount of unnecessary pollution, not to mention a waste of time. Such a simple solution, and it wouldn’t require any new agencies, nor laws — adjust the traffic lights!
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Michael Gerson: State of Israel: History...
- Letter: Society puzzles
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 32
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 29