I suspect Mayor Ralph Becker has never asked his traffic engineers to check out the ridiculous stoplights in his city which cause traffic to stop without reason.
I refer to stoplights at 17th South, 3rd South and 2nd South crossing 7th East.
These lights are on a regular rotation all night long when there is no cross traffic on 7th East. They should only be triggered when someone needs to cross 7th East. I travel these lights along 7th East at 4 a.m. and I always get caught, along with other drivers at the lights.
Another light, not in Salt Lake, at Van Winkel and 56th South, doesn’t allow one to make a left turn off Van Winkel onto 56th even when there is no traffic coming in the opposite direction.
Add up all the unnecessarily idling cars throughout the year and you get a significant amount of unnecessary pollution, not to mention a waste of time. Such a simple solution, and it wouldn’t require any new agencies, nor laws — adjust the traffic lights!
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 112
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 73
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 62
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 50
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 47
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 34
- The complicated political views of... 33