Ravell Call, Deseret News
The media recently announced that BYU President Cecil O. Samuelson will be “replaced” by Kevin J Worthen. People “succeed” people. You “replace” parts in a machine. An individual has characteristics, both good and bad, which are not replaced by another individual. So when someone is released from a position, a successor is appointed.
Samuelson has been a great asset to the university, and Worthen will most certainly leave his mark on the institution as well. Then, in time, he will be succeeded.
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 54
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 46
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 36