'Humans of New York' author and girlfriend use Facebook to find homes for old dogs
Stanton and his girlfriend, Erin O'Sullivan, created a Facebook page to help senior dogs find loving homes. Their own experience with an 11-year-old dog named Susie inspired the page.
“I thought to myself, ‘That is the coolest dog I’ve ever seen,’ ” Stanton told TODAY.com. “ ‘If I ever get a dog, I want it to look like that.’ ”
Soon after, a man approached him and said he saw Stanton's photos of Susie on "Humans of New York" and could see how much he liked her. Susie belonged to the man, and he had to get rid of her quickly. He asked Stanton to adopt her, so he did.
“She’s old, and she’s attached,” Stanton told ABC News. “She wants to be with me everywhere.”
Now Susie brings so much joy to Stanton and O'Sullivan, they started Susie's Senior Dogs, a Facebook page to "(match) humans and dogs one bond at a time."
O'Sullivan created the Facebook page after seeing the bond between Susie and Stanton. She realized finding a home for older dogs can be difficult because most people think of puppies when they search for a new dog. O'Sullivan thinks part of finding a senior dog match is giving people the option.
"If you bring up the idea of an older dog and touch their hearts a little bit, they think, ‘Oh.’ Sometimes it’s just a matter of putting that option in front of them," she told TODAY.com.
O'Sullivan spends her evenings searching the Internet for these options. She focuses on animals in overcrowded shelters who are at risk for being put down. After making contacts and verifying information, she posts the pups and their stories on the Facebook page, touching the hearts of visitors and potential adopters.
"I cannot make it through one of these posts without crying!" Kelli Peters said on a Humans of New York post about Susie's Senior Dogs.
With more than 30 success stories, the couple continues to change the lives of these senior dogs and their owners, and their lives have changed too.
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Kids today are less likely to become pregnant...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 47
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Are Advanced Placement courses worth it? 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9