Tooele County fair back after being canceled due to budget crisis
Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
TOOELE — Budget shortfalls forced Tooele County to cancel its fair last year, but things are looking up and the fair is back.
“I’m glad it’s coming back,” said Mark McKendrick, the county's parks and recreation director. “It was a real disappointment for a lot of people last year, including myself, and we’re just glad it’s coming back. It’s tradition.”
County officials say they're looking at a more balanced budget, and soon residents will be enjoying rides, games and good old-fashioned fair food. The fair is scheduled to run July 31-Aug. 2.
"It'll be here. You can have all the calories you need,” joked Tooele County Commissioner Jerry Hurst.
Budget cuts led to many county programs being eliminated, and events such as the fair were canceled last year.
“No, it was not a fun year at all,” McKendrick said. "It was pretty devastating. We lost 17 full-time employees.”
More than 70 county employees were laid off.
"We had a dose of reality when the cash cow got sick. It didn't die, but it got sick," Hurst said.
That cash cow included mitigation fees from the Tooele Army Depot and EnergySolutions to get rid of old chemical weapons and toxic materials. Combine that with the recession and no property tax increases for 27 years, and something had to give.
"As the county treasurer put it, it was the perfect storm,” Hurst said.
County leaders held several meetings over the past year and trimmed the budget to a more manageable position.
McKendrick says four of the workers who were laid off last year have been rehired.
“They are in different roles than they were before,” he said, “but at least we were able to bring them back. I think it shows things are getting better — maybe not to the point where we were, and we’ll probably never get back to that point, but we’re better off now than we were last year.”
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13