Saltsman is research director at the Employment Policies Institute, a non-profit research organization, funded in part by donations from the business community. It studies policies that, from a free market perspective, impact the entry-level job market such as teen employment and minimum wage.
"If you create a $15 minimum wage, or whatever, then employers will just decide they are going to replace people with touch screens," he says.
Like other people studying the impact of technology on jobs in the future, Saltsman says that retail, restaurants and other venues will probably look a lot different, a lot more automated, in the future regardless of minimum wage and other economic pressures on businesses.
"Our concern in the immediate term is that we are talking about (policies that will accelerate these technology) changes at a time when a significant amount of our less-skilled job force still doesn't have a job," he says. "So I would submit to you this is the worst time to think about accelerating those kind of changes and dramatically changing the calculus between 'Does it make sense to automate?' versus keeping employees."
Currently at Chili's, however, there do not appear to be plans to automate the basic server job of taking meal orders. Prince even shudders at the thought as she works several tables on a Saturday night in Harrisville.
"I hope that doesn't happen," she says. "There would be nothing for me to do."
Meanwhile, all around the restaurant, customers will pay for their meals without calling Prince over. Instead they use her partner, Ziosk. The tablet has a screen where customers set the tip by swiping a sliding scale back and forth — defaulting at 20 percent. So far the Ziosk tablet hasn't asked its partner, Prince, for a cut of her tips.
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529 plan
- All families need to have the financial 'talk'
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- In a surprising move, Dollar Tree will buy...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 15
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 11
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 3
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 3