Saltsman is research director at the Employment Policies Institute, a non-profit research organization, funded in part by donations from the business community. It studies policies that, from a free market perspective, impact the entry-level job market such as teen employment and minimum wage.
"If you create a $15 minimum wage, or whatever, then employers will just decide they are going to replace people with touch screens," he says.
Like other people studying the impact of technology on jobs in the future, Saltsman says that retail, restaurants and other venues will probably look a lot different, a lot more automated, in the future regardless of minimum wage and other economic pressures on businesses.
"Our concern in the immediate term is that we are talking about (policies that will accelerate these technology) changes at a time when a significant amount of our less-skilled job force still doesn't have a job," he says. "So I would submit to you this is the worst time to think about accelerating those kind of changes and dramatically changing the calculus between 'Does it make sense to automate?' versus keeping employees."
Currently at Chili's, however, there do not appear to be plans to automate the basic server job of taking meal orders. Prince even shudders at the thought as she works several tables on a Saturday night in Harrisville.
"I hope that doesn't happen," she says. "There would be nothing for me to do."
Meanwhile, all around the restaurant, customers will pay for their meals without calling Prince over. Instead they use her partner, Ziosk. The tablet has a screen where customers set the tip by swiping a sliding scale back and forth — defaulting at 20 percent. So far the Ziosk tablet hasn't asked its partner, Prince, for a cut of her tips.
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Volunteer deputy accused of shooting unarmed...
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Where does 'cool' come from?
- European vacation as much as 25 percent...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Are you rich or poor? The answer may be... 21
- Minority of taxpayers pay majority of... 20
- Finally, Congress OKs bill reshaping... 3
- European vacation as much as 25 percent... 3
- Happiness research inspired one... 3
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 3
- Ask Mr. Dad: How to handle stress of... 2
- Citigroup's earnings rise 21 percent,... 2