Joe Parkinson improved to a ninth-place finish to lead the BYU men's golf team to a third-place finish at the Fresno State Classic on Tuesday.
"We were in contention to win this tournament, but we didn't have it this week," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We'll just have to figure out how we can be a little better next time. I wish we put a little more pressure in the final round. Santa Barbara won the tournament and they showed a lot of class, so you have to hand it to them."
Parkinson finished at 7-over-par over the two-day tournament with three birdies in the final round.
The Cougars completed the final round to go 35-over-par in the 14-team tournament. UC Santa Barbara finished the tournament in first place at 21-over-par, while Nevada trailed by three strokes for the second-place finish.
Justin Keiley tied for 13th place at 9-over-par with a team-best 70 in the final round. Keiley improved 20 places in the final round that included a pair of birdies and an eagle on the third hole.
Jordan Rodgers also tied in 13th place at 9-over-par and a single birdie, while Cole Ogden finished tied in 28th place at 12-over-par with one birdie as well. Stephen Archibald tied in 46th place at 17-over-par and three birdies with Mike Jurca tying in 63rd place at 24-over-par with two birdies.
West Coast Conference foes Loyola Marymount and San Francisco tied in fourth with Santa Clara finishing in seventh place.
BYU will travel to Goodyear, Ariz., for the Desert Shootout on March 20-22 at Palm Valley Golf Club.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 86
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 42
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12