Joe Parkinson improved to a ninth-place finish to lead the BYU men's golf team to a third-place finish at the Fresno State Classic on Tuesday.
"We were in contention to win this tournament, but we didn't have it this week," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We'll just have to figure out how we can be a little better next time. I wish we put a little more pressure in the final round. Santa Barbara won the tournament and they showed a lot of class, so you have to hand it to them."
Parkinson finished at 7-over-par over the two-day tournament with three birdies in the final round.
The Cougars completed the final round to go 35-over-par in the 14-team tournament. UC Santa Barbara finished the tournament in first place at 21-over-par, while Nevada trailed by three strokes for the second-place finish.
Justin Keiley tied for 13th place at 9-over-par with a team-best 70 in the final round. Keiley improved 20 places in the final round that included a pair of birdies and an eagle on the third hole.
Jordan Rodgers also tied in 13th place at 9-over-par and a single birdie, while Cole Ogden finished tied in 28th place at 12-over-par with one birdie as well. Stephen Archibald tied in 46th place at 17-over-par and three birdies with Mike Jurca tying in 63rd place at 24-over-par with two birdies.
West Coast Conference foes Loyola Marymount and San Francisco tied in fourth with Santa Clara finishing in seventh place.
BYU will travel to Goodyear, Ariz., for the Desert Shootout on March 20-22 at Palm Valley Golf Club.
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron productive for...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an underclassman...
- Dick Harmon: Jimmy Blair, the baron of Utah...
- BYU softball: season ends at Columbia Regional
- BYU golf: White leads Cougars to 11th place...
- BYU baseball: Schneemann wins it in bottom of...
- Brennon Anderson's 3-run blast helps lead BYU...
- BYU golf: Cougars wrap up second round play...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 63
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- Video: 100 days until college football... 18
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10
- Brennon Anderson's 3-run blast helps... 6
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 6
- Adam Mangum: Picking the top 10... 5
- Dick Harmon: WCC baseball championship:... 5