Man arrested after gunfire triggers school lockdown
MILLCREEK — A gunshot fired during a domestic dispute Tuesday triggered a lockdown at a nearby elementary school.
Steve Brinkerhoff, 38, was arguing with his girlfriend at his home, 1075 E. 3740 South, when police say he fired a single shot from a handgun about 7:30 a.m. The woman left the home and called police a short time later, and officers alerted nearby Mill Creek Elementary, 3761 S. 1100 East, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The school initiated a soft lockdown, requiring parents to pick up their children after school rather than letting them walk home. A bus from Evergreen Junior High School, which normally drops students off near the elementary school, was also sent back and parents were called to pick up their children from school, according to the Granite School District.
Unified police officers believe Brinkerhoff left the home for a time. They located him back at his home about 3:30 p.m. and called in a SWAT team to contain the area when he refused to come out. The SWAT team deployed gas in the home, and Brinkerhoff surrendered shortly after 4:30 p.m.
Evacuations to nearby homes and businesses weren't lifted until about 7:45 p.m. as a precaution. Police learned Brinkerhoff had recently been in possession of an explosive device, prompting a bomb squad to search the house Tuesday afternoon. No explosives were found.
Brinkerhoff is expected to be booked into Salt Lake County Jail.
— McKenzie Romero
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 47
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 29
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 24
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19