Man arrested after gunfire triggers school lockdown
MILLCREEK — A gunshot fired during a domestic dispute Tuesday triggered a lockdown at a nearby elementary school.
Steve Brinkerhoff, 38, was arguing with his girlfriend at his home, 1075 E. 3740 South, when police say he fired a single shot from a handgun about 7:30 a.m. The woman left the home and called police a short time later, and officers alerted nearby Mill Creek Elementary, 3761 S. 1100 East, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The school initiated a soft lockdown, requiring parents to pick up their children after school rather than letting them walk home. A bus from Evergreen Junior High School, which normally drops students off near the elementary school, was also sent back and parents were called to pick up their children from school, according to the Granite School District.
Unified police officers believe Brinkerhoff left the home for a time. They located him back at his home about 3:30 p.m. and called in a SWAT team to contain the area when he refused to come out. The SWAT team deployed gas in the home, and Brinkerhoff surrendered shortly after 4:30 p.m.
Evacuations to nearby homes and businesses weren't lifted until about 7:45 p.m. as a precaution. Police learned Brinkerhoff had recently been in possession of an explosive device, prompting a bomb squad to search the house Tuesday afternoon. No explosives were found.
Brinkerhoff is expected to be booked into Salt Lake County Jail.
— McKenzie Romero
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 25