Amy Sancetta, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The cost to fill a gas tank is climbing again in the Beehive State.
The average price in Utah Tuesday was $3.35 per gallon for regular gasoline, about 4 cents higher than a week ago and 26 cents higher than last month. Currently, only 10 states have prices lower than Utah.
According to AAA Utah, the state’s fuel prices are following a typical yearly trend by increasing as spring approaches. Even with a double-digit increase this past month, Utah’s prices are relatively low when compared with the rest of the country, said AAA Utah spokeswoman Rolayne Fairclough.
Nationwide, the average price was $3.49 per gallon — up 18 cents over last month, but 21 cents lower than a year ago. Hawaii registered the highest average price at $4.16 — the only state reporting prices over $4. In the lower 48 states, California was the high-price leader at $3.91 per gallon. Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee tied for the lowest average price in the country at $3.22 a gallon.
While prices in nearly every state moved higher in the past month, the majority of motorists are enjoying substantial year-over-year savings, Fairclough said.
"All of the Utah cities tracked by AAA reported a double-digit increase since last month’s gasoline report," she said. "The lowest average price — $3.31 for a gallon of regular gasoline — can be found in Logan, (while) Moab reported the highest average price at $3.52."
She attributed the rapidly escalating tensions in Ukraine as one of the main factors in rising crude prices, which hit a greater than six-month high this month.
"The Russian-Ukrainian conflict and other geopolitical tensions are likely to keep oil prices from falling too far in the near future,” Fairclough said.
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529 plan
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Utah Transit Authority eyeing electric bus...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Balancing act: First 'real' job teaches...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- In a surprising move, Dollar Tree will buy...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 11
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 5