BYU baseball: Kolton Mahoney honored four times as pitcher of the week
Jeremy Thomas, BYU baseball
Right-handed sophomore pitcher Kolton Mahoney of BYU was honored four times with national/regional honors for his no-hit performance last week.
Collegiate Baseball magazine named BYU's Mahoney as one of its six Louisville Slugger National Players of the Week. The West Coast Conference named Mahoney as its pitcher of the week. College Sports Madness has named Mahoney the Madness West Coast Baseball Player of the Week, while NCAA.com named Mahoney as one of its Performers of the Week.
Mahoney threw BYU’s seventh no-hitter in school history during a 5-0 win over Nicholls State. He struck out 11 batters and walked two over nine innings.
The others honored by Collegiate Baseball were: Javi Salas, Miami (Fla.), who pitched the 20th perfect game in NCAA Division I history during a 17-0 win over Villanova; Chris Pike, Oklahoma City, who threw a seven-inning perfect game during a 5-0 win over St. Gregory’s, striking out 18; Jace Fry, Oregon St., who pitched the fifth no-hitter in school history during a 2-0 win over Northern Illinois, striking out 10 batters; Matt Imhof, Cal. Poly, struck out a career-high 15 batters during a 4-0 win over Seattle; and catcher/first baseman Mac James, who hit .684 (13-for-19) over five games as he collected at least one hit in each game.
Mahoney lowered his earned run average from 3.15 to 2.17 as his record improved to 2-2 last week. Mahoney struck out NSU batters every inning, including two in the third and ninth innings.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Utah Jazz: Fate turned former walk-on, NCAA...
- New Lone Peak basketball coach David Evans...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 82
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 23
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8