A wind-aided grand slam by Nash Knight knocked the wind out of BYU’s baseball team as host Dallas Baptist University won 8-3 on Monday afternoon.
Third baseman Knight’s two-out slam to right-center field broke a 3-3 deadlock as three Cougar pitchers hurled to no avail in that sixth inning.
“It’s like we are swimming upstream,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “We have to work out of it. We really competed today. (Brandon) Kinser gave us a quality start.”
The Cougars (7-11) battled through several misfortunes against the Patriots (12-4). Brandon Kinser got a last-minute start after lefty Hayden Rogers suffered a concussion when he was hit in the face in a freak injury by a batted ball as he was warming up in the bullpen during the pregame.
Trevin Sonnier was thrown out by Bronson Larsen trying to steal second to end the second inning. After giving up a two-out double in the third, Kinser got an inning-ending fly out to Eric Urry in left field.
Trailing 1-0, BYU got things going in the fifth inning when Hayden Nielsen and Brennon Lund singled. Parker Starr lined a two-out single to right field to score Nielsen. The Cougars took a 2-1 lead when Urry bunted down the third base side and Lund dashed home with no play available.
BYU expanded that lead to 3-1 in the sixth on consecutive Patriot errors when CJ Latham beat out a throw at first base, stole second on a high throw and advanced to third. Trace Hansen's sacrifice fly scored Latham.
Three consecutive Patriot singles led to a three-all score in the sixth inning. With bases loaded, DBU scored one of those runs from a walk. Then, BYU threw a runner out at home for the second out. It was looking better for BYU until a foul pop up was dropped, setting up Knight’s grand slam.
The Cougars begin league play Thursday at 6 p.m. against defending West Coast Conference champion San Diego (11-4) at Larry H. Miller Field.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28