'Noah' banned in three countries weeks before world premiere
HOLLYWOOD — The Biblical epic “Noah” is still a few weeks from its world premiere, but several countries have already banned the film.
The Russell Crowe-led film recounts the story of Noah in the book of Genesis in the Old Testament and countries like Qatar, United Arab Emirates and Bahrain have already notified Paramount Pictures that they will not release the film.
It is expected that Jordan, Kuwait and Egypt will also ban the film, expressing concern that the movie offends Islamic teachings by its dark representation of holy figures.
The film is set to debut in Egypt on March 26, but Al-Azhar, Egypt’s leading Sunni Muslim institute, released a statement titled, “Al-Azhar prohibits the screening of a film that characterizes Noah,” protesting the release of the film.
“Al-Azhar renews its rejection to the screening of any production that characterizes Allah’s prophets and messengers and the companions of the Prophet Muhammad.”
The release goes on to claim that films like “Noah,” are “contrary to faith and to the fundamentals of the Islamic Sharia and provokes people’s feelings.”
"While artistic license has been taken," a statement from Paramount Pictures read. "We believe that this film is true to the essence, values and integrity of a story that is a cornerstone of faith for millions of people worldwide."
“Noah” is scheduled for release in the United States on March 28.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- From log cabin to university, BYU-Idaho...
- Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: 'Defenders of the...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 166
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- General Women's Session focuses on... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 16
- State bills to protect religious... 11
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8