In 2013, the highest grossing R-rated film was only the 15th highest grossing overall, according to Screenit.com. The all-time numbers favor family-friendly fare, too. Mel Gibson’s "Passion of The Christ" is the highest grossing R-rated film in history, and it’s only number 25 overall. You have to drop all the way to 61 to find another R-rated flick.
Isn’t it obvious that audiences are hungry for uplifting entertainment?
Now more than ever, in a weak and wary economy, with consumers carefully measuring their money, moviegoers seem to want films that are both high quality and entertaining for all ages. Sure, there are exceptions, like the "Hangover" movies or the occasional breakout slasher film, but the numbers don’t lie.
So, why is "Frozen" thawing hearts and wallets around the world? Maybe, just maybe, in our chaotic world where sex, profanity and bad news dominate reality, this 102-minute fantasy treasure lets us escape to an unapologetically hopeful place where talking snowmen are real and the jokes don’t require you to cover your children's eyes.
On March 18, "Frozen" will be released on DVD and you can bet the Wrights will be at the front of the line with plans for an evening viewing party.
Want to join us?
Jason Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars" and his latest, "The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance." He can be reached at email@example.com, applevalleybarndance.com or jasonfwright.com
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- The faith of a father, written in an old journal
- Can Israeli farmers plant 70k trees, reap...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 66
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 50
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs... 19
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 19
- New DVD tells story of David... 13
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- Church leaders can learn from NFL... 7
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary... 7