In 2013, the highest grossing R-rated film was only the 15th highest grossing overall, according to Screenit.com. The all-time numbers favor family-friendly fare, too. Mel Gibson’s "Passion of The Christ" is the highest grossing R-rated film in history, and it’s only number 25 overall. You have to drop all the way to 61 to find another R-rated flick.
Isn’t it obvious that audiences are hungry for uplifting entertainment?
Now more than ever, in a weak and wary economy, with consumers carefully measuring their money, moviegoers seem to want films that are both high quality and entertaining for all ages. Sure, there are exceptions, like the "Hangover" movies or the occasional breakout slasher film, but the numbers don’t lie.
So, why is "Frozen" thawing hearts and wallets around the world? Maybe, just maybe, in our chaotic world where sex, profanity and bad news dominate reality, this 102-minute fantasy treasure lets us escape to an unapologetically hopeful place where talking snowmen are real and the jokes don’t require you to cover your children's eyes.
On March 18, "Frozen" will be released on DVD and you can bet the Wrights will be at the front of the line with plans for an evening viewing party.
Want to join us?
Jason Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars" and his latest, "The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance." He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, applevalleybarndance.com or jasonfwright.com
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 13
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5