Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare, upcoming performance
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
The upcoming Easter concert of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra will perhaps be the first of its kind.
This April, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra will perform an Easter concert on Temple Square, the first Easter concert with the full choir and orchestra in 10 years, according to their website. Together they will perform Handel's "Messiah," conducted by Mack Wilberg at the Tabernacle. The event will be perhaps the first time the choir has publicly performed Handel's piece in its entirety.
The concert will be held April 18-19, coinciding with Good Friday, at 7:30 p.m.
Handel's "Messiah," which focuses on the life and mission of Jesus Christ, is often associated with Christmas, but according to Smithsonian.com, it was originally an Easter offering.
The themes of the song are not only appropriate for the Easter concert, but Handel's intent for the song is appropriate as well. In an article from the December 2010 Ensign, Elder Spencer J. Condie quoted Handel as saying, “I should be sorry if I only entertained them. I wish to make them better” after the first London performance of "Messiah."
Fans of the Tabernacle Choir expressed enthusiasm for the announcement made on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Facebook page.
"No one can do the Messiah like the Tabernacle Choir!" Patricia Reynolds said.
Many others shared their hope the concert would be broadcast for those who are unable to attend.
"This will be a great missionary tool if they broadcast it!" Helen Forste Johnson commented.
Ticket registration begins March 11, 2014. To register, visit lds.org/events or call 801-570-0080.
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- New poll finds Americans less likely to keep...
- Should your boss know that you keep the Sabbath?
- Up-close view of angel Moroni statue being...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- LDS Church hires assistant church historian...
- The evolution of LDS 'lady missionaries' and...
- Twila Van Leer: Tips for preserving valuable...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 39
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 24
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 22
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 21
- For Hillary Clinton, church offers a... 18
- The benefits some families see from... 14
- Power of one: BYU grad hopes to help... 8