Weber State's Davion Berry named Big Sky Conference MVP
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
OGDEN — Weber State senior guard Davion Berry was named Big Sky Conference MVP, highlighting several conference awards the Wildcats wrapped up Monday afternoon.
Berry averaged 19.2 points per game during the season to lead the Wildcats. His points average was third-highest in the Big Sky behind Eastern Washington's Tyler Harvey and North Dakota's Troy Huff. Berry also averaged 4.5 rebounds per game.
Berry is the fifth conference MVP from Weber State in the past eight years. The senior was also an unanimous selection to the Big Sky first-team list.
However, it wasn't the only major Big Sky award the Wildcats cleaned up.
Joel Bolomboy was awarded Big Sky Conference Defensive Player of the Year, while Jeremy Senglin was named Big Sky Conference Freshman of the Year.
Bolomboy led the Big Sky with 10.9 rebounds per game, a total that is also sixth-best in the nation. He also averaged 8.8 points per game and collected 23 blocks.
Senglin led all Big Sky freshmen in scoring at 11.3 points per game.
Center Kyle Tresnak was named to Big Sky's second-team list, while Bolomboy was named to the honorable mention list.
The Wildcats will host the Big Sky Conference Tournament, which tips off Thursday in Ogden. Weber State won the conference's regular-season title and has the lone bye in the tournament. The Wildcats will play the lowest remaining seed left after the opening-round games are complete.
On the women's side, Southern Utah University's Andrea Jones was named Big Sky's Top Reserve of the Year. Jones averaged 8.8 points per game for the Thunderbirds, which claimed a share of the Big Sky women's basketball regular-season title.
Guard Hailey Mandelko was named to the Big Sky first-team list, while forward Lori Parkinson was named to the second-team list.
SUU is the No. 2 seed and will play Sacramento State Thursday in Grand Forks, N.D.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 60
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 29
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 24