Utah State basketball: Aggies receive No. 8 seed in MWC tournament, to play Colorado State
Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP
Utah State knows where its path to a possible NCAA tournament automatic bid will begin.
The Aggies received the eighth seed in the 2014 MWC men's basketball tournament and will face ninth seed Colorado State in the first round at 3 p.m. MDT Wednesday. All tournament games will be played at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
The Utah State-Colorado State winner will play top seed San Diego State, which received a first-round bye, on Thursday at 1 p.m.
The Aggies swept the season series with the Rams, beating Colorado State 57-50 in Logan and winning 71-62 in Fort Collins, Colo., later in the year. Utah State, which finished the season 17-13 and 7-11 in league play, enters the tournament on a two-game winning streak.
Other Wednesday matchups include seventh seed Fresno State playing No. 10 Air Force (No. 10) at 5:30 p.m. and No. 6 Boise State taking on No. 11 San Jose State at 8 p.m. All three Wednesday games will be streamed on the Mountain West Network online.
The league tournament gets into full swing on Thursday with four games. That includes the only set matchup thus far: No. 4 UNLV against No. 5 Wyoming. No. 2 New Mexico will face the winner of Fresno State and Air Force, while third seed Nevada will take on the winner of Boise State and San Jose State.
Thursday's quarterfinals and Friday's semifinal games will be televised on CBS Sports Network, while Saturday's championship game will be televised nationally on CBS at 4 p.m.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13