SALT LAKE CITY — Unified police arrested a suspected bank robber Sunday at a Salt Lake City motel.
Randy Lewis Platt, 23, was arrested at the Alta Motel Lodge on State Street just after 7 p.m. Investigators believe he is responsible for robbing a Wells Fargo Bank, 955 E. Ft. Union Blvd., on Friday.
Platt allegedly handed the teller a note demanding cash, and left with an undisclosed amount of money.
Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said detectives had been following several leads since Friday which led them to the motel on Sunday. They surrounded the room they believed he was in, and got him to come out and surrender without further incident.
A search warrant to go through his room was being obtained Sunday evening.
Platt pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia last month in Lehi Justice Court, and after serving jail time was released from custody on March 5, according to Utah court records.
In 2008, he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of attempted possession of a dangerous weapon. He also was found guilty of robbery in a separate case, according to court records. He received a suspended prison term, was put on probation and ordered to enroll in a drug treatment program. But he violated the conditions of his probation and in 2011 was ordered to serve a year in jail, court records state.
There have been more than 20 bank robberies in Salt Lake County since the beginning of the year. As of Sunday, Hoyal said detectives were only linking Platt to one robbery.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12