Dick Harmon: Kyle Collinsworth's career game propels BYU past LMU in WCC tourney
Until this season, Good had never seen Collinsworth, who spent the past two years serving an LDS mission to Russia. After the game, Good went up to Collinsworth and praised him and told him he’d be in the NBA someday.
“If I’d known how good he was, I’d have had him stay away for three more years,” said Good. “Collinsworth is a handful, a handful. He is a multi-talented player. Some guys can score. Some guys can do this and do that. This guy can play basketball.”
Collinsworth made 10 of 15 field goals. Yes, one of those was a missed 3-pointer, which is not his cup of Postum. But that’s 67 percent from the floor — most on power putbacks or slashing drives. LMU shooting guard Evan Payne couldn’t stop him and forward Nick Stover couldn’t contain him on the wing. Collinsworth had six offensive rebounds and 10 on the defensive end. He hauled down seven boards in the first half and added three steals for the game.
Collinsworth and Co. face a tough challenge Monday in No. 3 seed San Francisco. Don coach Rex Walters told reporters after his win over San Diego that his team was playing the best basketball in the league right now and he was confident they’d be in the finals.
Collinsworth would be hard-pressed to repeat career scoring and rebounding bests Monday.
But a little Kyle the Killer would go a long way to help the cause.
BYU has never won a second-round WCC tournament game.
The watch is on.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45