Scott G Winterton, Deseret News Archives
WHITNEY RESERVOIR, Summit County — A Utah man who died after being caught in an avalanche Friday was identified Saturday.
Ryan A. Noorda, 39, of Honeyville, was the man killed in the slide, according to Summit County sheriff's officials. Noorda had been snowmobiling with family near Gold Hill Road and Mirror Lake Highway when the avalanche occurred.
Emergency officials were notified of the slide about 6 p.m., and the caller reported a man had been trapped. Search and rescue crews located the man and medical officials confirmed he had died, Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds said.
Sgt. Ron Bridge said Saturday that the man's body was off of the mountain around 10 p.m.
A report on the avalanche on the Utah Avalanche Center website indicated Noorda had spent the day riding with his brother and the pair were headed back to their RV parked at the Bear River Trailhead when they decided to go riding on a popular slope in Gold Hill Basin. Noorda was on a north-facing slope when he triggered a slide above him that caught and buried him.
The report indicated the avalanche was four feet deep. Noorda's brother located him using an avalanche beacon and attempted CPR for 20 minutes before flagging down another rider for help.
"CPR continues for an additional 20 more minutes," the report states. "While heroic efforts are made to save Ryan's life, medical crews pronounce him dead at the scene."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 300
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 107
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 42
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36