Scott G Winterton, Deseret News Archives
WHITNEY RESERVOIR, Summit County — A Utah man who died after being caught in an avalanche Friday was identified Saturday.
Ryan A. Noorda, 39, of Honeyville, was the man killed in the slide, according to Summit County sheriff's officials. Noorda had been snowmobiling with family near Gold Hill Road and Mirror Lake Highway when the avalanche occurred.
Emergency officials were notified of the slide about 6 p.m., and the caller reported a man had been trapped. Search and rescue crews located the man and medical officials confirmed he had died, Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds said.
Sgt. Ron Bridge said Saturday that the man's body was off of the mountain around 10 p.m.
A report on the avalanche on the Utah Avalanche Center website indicated Noorda had spent the day riding with his brother and the pair were headed back to their RV parked at the Bear River Trailhead when they decided to go riding on a popular slope in Gold Hill Basin. Noorda was on a north-facing slope when he triggered a slide above him that caught and buried him.
The report indicated the avalanche was four feet deep. Noorda's brother located him using an avalanche beacon and attempted CPR for 20 minutes before flagging down another rider for help.
"CPR continues for an additional 20 more minutes," the report states. "While heroic efforts are made to save Ryan's life, medical crews pronounce him dead at the scene."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13