The BYU men's tennis team let momentum get away as it fell, 6-1, to No. 56 New Mexico at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex on Friday.
The Cougars drop to 6-8 on the season with the loss to the Lobos (14-4).
"New Mexico played a good match," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "Losing the doubles point in a tiebreaker put us in an uphill climb starting singles. We'll be looking to perform better against No. 31 Texas Tech."
BYU came out with energy in doubles, but New Mexico squeezed out the point.
Third doubles team Jeremy Bourgeois and Sterling Galli fell to their opponents, 8-4, in the first finish, but the Cougars evened the count with Andrey Goryachkov and Robin Pfister edging out James Hignett and Samir Iftikhar, 8-6, in first doubles.
Highlighting singles play for BYU was freshman Jacob Sullivan. At the No. 6 singles slot, he secured a two-set win, 7-5, 6-4, to put the Cougars on the board.
Junior captain Sargeant fell at first singles to Iftikhar for only his second loss in 2014 dual matches. The 114th-ranked player took the first set before losing the next two, the final in a tiebreaker, 6-7, 6-2, 1-0 (2).
The Cougars will be back in action Saturday against No. 31 Texas Tech at 11 a.m. MST at the Estes Tennis Complex.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- BYU defense working hard to catch up to the...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 42
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 37
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 21
- BYU football: Jaren Hall, the son of... 15
- BYU, Nevada both struggling in pass... 13