The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead for property owners
The negotiated compromise does not take any of his property and actually provides some benefit, Robins said.
"They'll build a trail that will go around our property so that city people can actually see a farm, cattle, with pheasants, ducks and geese."
His daughter, LaDonn Robins Christianson, said the process has been long, but ultimately it achieved beneficial results.
"We feel like we have come to a good compromise with this plan. It spares 300 acres of prime agricultural land and hopefully accomplishes their purpose with the June sucker."
Robins is grateful for the work that has been done on the plan as well, but he stresses he doesn't have to necessarily agree it's for a worthwhile cause.
"In conclusion, whlie I, personally, and many others think it is a terrible crime to spend millions and millions of dollars to save a fish just because it is on the Endangered Species list, we can't fight that, apparently," he said.
Authorities have scheduled a meeting in April to air details of the proposed project alternative and to discuss concerns that continue to exist.
Restoration of the riparian habitat of wetlands and marshes, for example, has created concern for neighboring airport officials who fear it will significantly increase the risks of bird-strikes with aircraft, in particular pelicans. Mills said part of the project contemplates a two-year bird movement study to assess the threat.
"We realize there are still some issues and concerns to be addressed regarding the proposed project, and we want to hear about those from the public so we can try to resolve those, too,” said Gene Shawcroft, deputy general manager of the Central Utah Water Conservancy District.
The meeting will be April 2 from 6-8 p.m. at the Provo City Recreation Center, 320 W. 500 North. Comments on the plan are being accepted until May 7.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- 'To this day, I don't believe I did it': War...
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 141
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 44
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 40
- New definition of homeless would give... 32
- Police release names of officers... 27
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 24