Ray Grass: Day 3 of NCAA Skiing Championships postponed due to 'unsafe conditions'
The slalom portion of the men’s and women’s NCAA Skiing Championships was postponed Friday due to “unsafe conditions.’’
“Unfortunately we had to cancel the race because of the snow conditions,” said Jaka Korencan, alpine head coach for the University of Utah. “The rain and the warm temperatures contributed to an unsafe race course. We’re hoping to get a freeze (tonight) so that we have a fair and safe surface tomorrow.”
The schedule called for the men’s and women’s slalom on Friday and the men’s 20K and women’s 15K freestyle cross-country on Saturday. If weather conditions permit, the slalom events will begin at 9 a.m. today at the Park City Mountain Resort and the nordic events at 9:30 a.m. at Soldier Hollow in Midway.
Utah took a 35-point lead after the giant slalom event on Wednesday, but lost it to the University of Denver following the men’s and women’s classic cross-country on Thursday.
Going into events today, Denver leads with 299 points, followed by Utah with 248 and the University of Colorado, the defending champion, with 240.5.
Kevin Sweeney, Utah’s director of skiing, said the Utes were not the only team to struggle in Thursday’s cross-country and added, “It could have been the wax. It’s ski racing.’’
Team scores: 1. University of Denver 299, 2. University of Utah 248, 3. University of Colorado 240.5, 4. University of New Mexico 231, 5. University of Vermont 186.5, 6. Dartmouth 131, 7. Northern Michigan 125, 8. Montana State 104.5, 9. Alaska Anchorage 94, 10. Alaska Fairbanks 76, 11. Middlebury 70.5, 12. New Hampshire 59 and 13. Harvard 41.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman signs 2-year...
- 3A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 60
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29