Ray Grass: Day 3 of NCAA Skiing Championships postponed due to 'unsafe conditions'
The slalom portion of the men’s and women’s NCAA Skiing Championships was postponed Friday due to “unsafe conditions.’’
“Unfortunately we had to cancel the race because of the snow conditions,” said Jaka Korencan, alpine head coach for the University of Utah. “The rain and the warm temperatures contributed to an unsafe race course. We’re hoping to get a freeze (tonight) so that we have a fair and safe surface tomorrow.”
The schedule called for the men’s and women’s slalom on Friday and the men’s 20K and women’s 15K freestyle cross-country on Saturday. If weather conditions permit, the slalom events will begin at 9 a.m. today at the Park City Mountain Resort and the nordic events at 9:30 a.m. at Soldier Hollow in Midway.
Utah took a 35-point lead after the giant slalom event on Wednesday, but lost it to the University of Denver following the men’s and women’s classic cross-country on Thursday.
Going into events today, Denver leads with 299 points, followed by Utah with 248 and the University of Colorado, the defending champion, with 240.5.
Kevin Sweeney, Utah’s director of skiing, said the Utes were not the only team to struggle in Thursday’s cross-country and added, “It could have been the wax. It’s ski racing.’’
Team scores: 1. University of Denver 299, 2. University of Utah 248, 3. University of Colorado 240.5, 4. University of New Mexico 231, 5. University of Vermont 186.5, 6. Dartmouth 131, 7. Northern Michigan 125, 8. Montana State 104.5, 9. Alaska Anchorage 94, 10. Alaska Fairbanks 76, 11. Middlebury 70.5, 12. New Hampshire 59 and 13. Harvard 41.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- BYU, Utah fans react to Max Hall's arrest...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Nebraska transfer Harvey Jackson stepped up...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 34
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28