BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks off Portland, will play Cougars Saturday in WCC quarterfinals
Isaac Brekken, AP
LAS VEGAS — Loyola Marymount is at it again.
Last year, the bottom-seeded Lions defied the odds and battled their way to the West Coast Conference semifinals.
Thursday, No. 10 seed LMU (13-18) overcame a 13-point second-half deficit to knock off No. 7 seed Portland, 67-64, in the first round of the WCC tournament at Orleans Arena.
By virtue of their win over the Pilots, the Lions advance to the quarterfinals. They'll take on No. 2 seed BYU Saturday (3:30 p.m. MST, BYUtv).
Down by double digits, LMU employed an effective full-court press against Portland. The Lions forced 20 Pilot turnovers and scored 30 points off those turnovers.
“We had to dig in early, at about the 12-minute mark of the first half," said LMU coach Max Good. "We were full-court pressing. I’m not sure we would have done that under the old format where you have to play again the (next) night."
Freshman Evan Payne, who finished with a game-high 19 points, recorded a steal and a dunk midway through the second half “that kind of electrified us and fueled us," Good said. That kick-started a 15-3 LMU run that saw the Lions take a 56-52 advantage with five minutes remaining.
Senior guard Anthony Ireland hit just 4 of 16 shots for the Lions, but he finished with 14 points and six assists.
“Anthony didn’t have one of his better games," Good said. "I’d still take him eight days a week. On his bad game, he helped us win.”
LMU overcame double-doubles by Portland's Thomas Van der Mars and Ryan Nicholas. Bobby Sharp drilled 6 of 9 3-pointers and finished with 18 points for the Pilots.
BYU and LMU split the regular-season series, with each team winning at home.
Good said his team will spend most of Friday watching film and preparing for the Cougars.
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 32
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31