Matt Gade, Deseret News
RSL's 2014 season kicks off this weekend.
"I think expectations are always high for us. After how we did last year with quote unquote 'RSL 2.0,' I think we overachieved," said Borchers. "I think this year the expectations are high, and we have set the bar high as well."
With that said, don't expect too much to change in 2014.
“It was very short this year, but all of us like to come out and play soccer. We’re not getting paid to do anything else,” said Borchers. “I’m kind of miserable when I’m not playing soccer, so it’s good to be on the pitch.”
SABO GOES 45: RSL striker and Costa Rican international Alvaro Saborio managed to find the back of the net for the Ticos in a friendly versus Paraguay on Wednesday night. Saborio came on as a second-half substitute and buried a 73rd-minute goal to give his country a 2-0 lead. Saborio will be available for RSL's season opener Saturday at Los Angeles.
TRENDING MLS: On the heels of a 2-0 defeat to Ukraine, USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann openly acknowledged that the absence of MLS-based players for the friendly hurt the U.S.
RSL captain Kyle Beckerman, widely considered a strong candidate for a spot on Klinsmann's final 23-man World Cup roster, says he isn't looking ahead to this summer's tournament in Brazil.
"I'm trying to stay focused and not look too far ahead, just focusing on the game this weekend," said Beckerman. "I can't think too far ahead. It just gets you anxious."
The veteran would join Saborio, a shoo-in for the World Cup, and possibly RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando at the World Cup.
Follow Conner on Twitter: TheConner88
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- Brighton four-star recruit Sione Lund commits...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- Utah Jazz: Hayward finally has breakout game...
- Cougars relish opportunity to play in-state...
- Stafford throws 5 TDs, BYU alum Ansah picks...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 58
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 51
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 28
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 27