Catching up: Old friends Andre Miller, Alex Jensen reflect on their time at Utah under coach Rick Majerus
That’s not surprising or new news to Jensen. While he was part of the Cavaliers organization, as the Canton Charge’s head coach, the 2013 D-League Coach of the Year asked members of the Cleveland staff and even former NBA standout Žydrūnas Ilgauskas, about his friend who’d started his NBA career in that franchise. One of the first things they told Jensen about Miller was simply, “He’s the best.”
“And,” Jensen added, “he truly he is, meaning on the court and off the court, he’s good.”
All good ones now
Miller doesn’t share as many anecdotal stories of his time with Jensen (or Majerus, for that matter), but he’s a huge fan of the man who shares Jazz player development duties with another ex-Ute, Johnnie Bryant. While laughing, Miller said it “makes me feel old” that they’re both in the NBA in various capacities all these years later.
“It’s always good to see Alex. He’s doing a great job,” Miller said. “I think he’s going to be a head coach one day.”
Another smile emerged as he recalled his career on the hill, a career, by the way, that included his famous Elite Eight triple-double against Arizona in 1998 as well as him leaving as the school's all-time leader in steals and No. 2 in assists the following spring.
“Being around the guys and practicing and Coach Majerus stories, traveling and, of course, the national championship game, there are so many things I could point to,” he said. “But all of them (were) good memories.”
So, guys, any more good Majerus stories? Bad Majerus stories?
“They’re all good now, right?” Jensen said, cracking a grin.
Only if they’re told again and again.
Especially by old friends.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 102
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 10
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7