Catching up: Old friends Andre Miller, Alex Jensen reflect on their time at Utah under coach Rick Majerus
That’s not surprising or new news to Jensen. While he was part of the Cavaliers organization, as the Canton Charge’s head coach, the 2013 D-League Coach of the Year asked members of the Cleveland staff and even former NBA standout Žydrūnas Ilgauskas, about his friend who’d started his NBA career in that franchise. One of the first things they told Jensen about Miller was simply, “He’s the best.”
“And,” Jensen added, “he truly he is, meaning on the court and off the court, he’s good.”
All good ones now
Miller doesn’t share as many anecdotal stories of his time with Jensen (or Majerus, for that matter), but he’s a huge fan of the man who shares Jazz player development duties with another ex-Ute, Johnnie Bryant. While laughing, Miller said it “makes me feel old” that they’re both in the NBA in various capacities all these years later.
“It’s always good to see Alex. He’s doing a great job,” Miller said. “I think he’s going to be a head coach one day.”
Another smile emerged as he recalled his career on the hill, a career, by the way, that included his famous Elite Eight triple-double against Arizona in 1998 as well as him leaving as the school's all-time leader in steals and No. 2 in assists the following spring.
“Being around the guys and practicing and Coach Majerus stories, traveling and, of course, the national championship game, there are so many things I could point to,” he said. “But all of them (were) good memories.”
So, guys, any more good Majerus stories? Bad Majerus stories?
“They’re all good now, right?” Jensen said, cracking a grin.
Only if they’re told again and again.
Especially by old friends.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24