The 18th-ranked Westminster College men’s lacrosse team cruised to a 22-4 win over Utah Valley in the home opener at Dumke Field on Thursday evening.
Westminster (4-1) scored three times in the first three minutes of the game, including a strike from Ethan Gosselin just 43 seconds into the action. Kyle Postler would score with 20 seconds remaining in the first period to give the Griffins a 5-1 advantage after 15 minutes.
Josh Holland scored three times in the second quarter as the home squad continued to pull away with a 6-2 second quarter. After a Utah Valley (2-1) goal at the 9:50 mark of the third quarter, Westminster scored the game’s final nine goals to claim a second-straight victory.
Holland finished the game with six goals on seven shots. His final goal came on the team’s only man-up situation of the contest midway through the final quarter. He also recorded one assist and two ground balls. Postler tied his career-high with six assists – one shy of the school record – and game-winning-goal gave him seven points in the contest to tie Holland for honors while also getting five ground balls.
Gosselin notched four goals on six shots, and Collin Madsen scored three goals with two assists. Dylan Check added two goals for his first career multi-goal game.
Chris Burckle started in goal and made two saves while playing the first half to earn the win. Ben Tourek played the second half and made three saves while only allowing one goal.
Jake Berard went 12-of-19 in faceoffs and led the team with six ground balls. He also scored one goal and recorded an assist. Richard Chen was 7-for-11 during his faceoff chances.
Tanner Porter led Utah Valley with two goals with Fred Davis and Sam Young scoring the other two. Shawn Rowley suffered the loss in goal by allowing 12 goals with six saves.
The Griffins will be back in action on March 13 against Arizona for the second of three-straight home games. The action from Dumke Field will begin at 4:30 p.m. MST.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 81
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 31
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14