The 18th-ranked Westminster College men’s lacrosse team cruised to a 22-4 win over Utah Valley in the home opener at Dumke Field on Thursday evening.
Westminster (4-1) scored three times in the first three minutes of the game, including a strike from Ethan Gosselin just 43 seconds into the action. Kyle Postler would score with 20 seconds remaining in the first period to give the Griffins a 5-1 advantage after 15 minutes.
Josh Holland scored three times in the second quarter as the home squad continued to pull away with a 6-2 second quarter. After a Utah Valley (2-1) goal at the 9:50 mark of the third quarter, Westminster scored the game’s final nine goals to claim a second-straight victory.
Holland finished the game with six goals on seven shots. His final goal came on the team’s only man-up situation of the contest midway through the final quarter. He also recorded one assist and two ground balls. Postler tied his career-high with six assists – one shy of the school record – and game-winning-goal gave him seven points in the contest to tie Holland for honors while also getting five ground balls.
Gosselin notched four goals on six shots, and Collin Madsen scored three goals with two assists. Dylan Check added two goals for his first career multi-goal game.
Chris Burckle started in goal and made two saves while playing the first half to earn the win. Ben Tourek played the second half and made three saves while only allowing one goal.
Jake Berard went 12-of-19 in faceoffs and led the team with six ground balls. He also scored one goal and recorded an assist. Richard Chen was 7-for-11 during his faceoff chances.
Tanner Porter led Utah Valley with two goals with Fred Davis and Sam Young scoring the other two. Shawn Rowley suffered the loss in goal by allowing 12 goals with six saves.
The Griffins will be back in action on March 13 against Arizona for the second of three-straight home games. The action from Dumke Field will begin at 4:30 p.m. MST.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24