Convicted killer wanted for parole violation arrested following standoff
WEST VALLEY CITY — A convicted killer wanted for a parole violation was arrested following a brief standoff Thursday.
About 1:30 a.m., officers from the Salt Lake Metro Gang Unit, who were out looking for Tyson Yellowbear, saw him getting out of a vehicle at 1791 W. Parkway Blvd. (2500 South), and go into a residence. They walked up to the door to talk to him, but he refused to come out, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Officers surrounded the house, and after negotiating for about 45 minutes, Yellowbear broke out a window, tossed a gun out, and walked out and surrendered.
Yellowbear, 29, was convicted of criminal homicide by assault and aggravated assault, both third-degree felonies, for the 2006 shooting death of one man and critically injuring a second at a party in South Salt Lake. He originally was charged with murder, a first-degree felony, and attempted murder but pleaded guilty to the lesser charges.
He was sentenced to up to five years in prison. Yellowbear was also convicted of assault while incarcerated and sentenced to another five years to run concurrently with the sentence he was already serving, according to court records.
Yellowbear first arrived at the Utah State Prison in June of 2007. He was paroled on Nov. 26.
But he recently committed several parole violations, according to the Department of Corrections, including absconding, failure to tell Adult Probation and Parole officers where he had moved to, failure to maintain employment and failure to complete ordered treatment services.
A warrant was issued for his arrest on Feb. 28.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 114
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 44
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 32
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS... 16