First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by Will Smith, Jay Z
The latest version of the beloved book, musical and motion picture "Annie" is scheduled to hit theaters in December. Sony and Columbia Pictures have gathered several big names for this production starring Jamie Foxx as a mayoral candidate, Cameron Diaz as Miss Hannigan and Academy Award nominee Quvenzhané Wallis as Annie.
The film, to be released Dec. 19, puts a modern twist on the classic tale of "Annie" that was originally set in the 1930s. In addition, there will be modernized versions of the classic songs by Broadway composers Charles Strouse and Martin Charnin.
Influence for the film's twist comes from director Will Gluck and a group of producers that includes James Lassiter, Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and Jay-Z.
One of the major changes to the script is the introduction of a character named Will Stacks, who replaces Daddy Warbucks. Stacks is a candidate in a New York City mayoral race.
The trailer, released this week, has prompted reactions on Twitter and Facebook.
"I like the original movie and Broadway production (and) can't wait to see this one with a modern twist," Marcella Alvarez wrote on the Annie Facebook page.
Teresa Mattimore commented, "I can't wait! I can't wait! Neither can my kids! The casting looks outstanding and the good chemistry is evident!"
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- 5 tips for digitizing photos
- ‘Miracle baby’ born on cruise...
- The Clean Cut: 7-year-old sings Australian...
- Al Fox, James the Mormon discuss Thanksgiving...
- Payson mom releases Christmas album after...
- Sherry Young: Family's hearts are longing for...
- What influences your opinions on... 21
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Where Wyatt Earp walks the streets:... 4
- Brooding 'Mockingjay — Part 2'... 3
- Santa makes grand entrance, elaborate... 2
- 5 tips for digitizing photos 2
- Chris Hicks: After all these years,... 1
- Motherhood Matters: Making it through... 1