Utah State report card: Forwards, crowd get A's in win over Cowboys
Even on Senior Night, Kyle Davis stole the show. He added 11 points off the bench and grabbed 14 rebounds (six offensive), and he had three blocks to go along with that. If the Aggies can get production of their forwards like they did Wednesday then they may be able to shock a few teams in the tournament next week.
On a night where scoring wasn’t needed, Shaw still made an effort offensively in leading the Aggies with 14 points. Shaw also contributed on the glass by collecting 10 boards. Where he made his presence felt was on the defensive side of the game with blocks and by holding Wyoming’s forward/center Derek Cooke to seven points.
Jordan Stone played 15 minutes, but didn’t make much of an impact, if at all. Stone grabbed four rebounds, but what he really is there for is defense and to hold the center position while Shaw gets rest on the bench or sits because of foul trouble.
If the Aggies want to contend for a Mountain West title they need Shaw to play his best every game and not commit foolish fouls that make him sit through most of the game. Shaw is the straw that stirs the drink for the Aggies, and they'll need him next week.
Morrill is easily one the greatest coaches in the history of the state of Utah, right up there with Jerry Sloan. It was nice that Morrill allowed his seniors to play most of the game because it was Senior Night. Students were pleased to see Harris not only play, but start his final game at The Spectrum. It shows the true character and love that Morrill has for his players, and it wasn’t to the detriment of the team either. He understood that Harris couldn’t be in for too long because he would get winded, but he also saw that Harris was giving good effort and rewarded him with more minutes.
With an attendance of 9,909 The Spectrum got progressively louder as the game went on. It’s hard for fans to be really excited for a game that had little meaning for their team, and it’s even harder to do that on a Wednesday night when students are swarmed with mid-terms.
With that being said, the Aggie faithful did not disappoint. The game was for the seniors, and not just the ones on the court, but the ones in the fans as well.
Follow me on Twitter @TheBradyHunch
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 47
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8