Utah basketball: Runnin' Ute junior Delon Wright enjoys homecoming in Bay Area
Ben Margot, AP
BERKELEY, Calif. — It was a homecoming for Utah guard Delon Wright. He returned to the Bay Area where he won back-to-back Coast Conference Player of the Year honors while playing for City College of San Francisco. The junior joined the Utes this season.
“It feels good to be back here and have a chance to play in front of friends and family,” said Wright, who noted that he couldn’t wait for the opportunity to do so.
Although his coaches and players who are still at CCSF were unable to see Wright play at Cal on Wednesday — the Rams had a playoff game against Butte College — some former teammates were reportedly able to make it.
SCOUT-A-RAMA: Scouts from the NBA's Chicago Bulls, New Orleans Pelicans, Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards were credentialed for the game.
BACK WITH BACHYNSKI: After inserting center Renan Lenz into the starting lineup for Utah’s senior day win over Colorado (75-64) Saturday, coach Larry Krystkowiak opted to put Dallin Bachynski back in the middle and go with the starters that were successful in the Utes’ 86-63 victory over Arizona State on Feb. 23. The others in the opening lineup at Cal were Brandon Taylor, Princeton Onwas, Jordan Loveridge and Wright.
EXTRA STUFF: Cal’s Mike Montgomery was Krystkowiak’s coach at Montana. Coach K was a three-time Big Sky Conference MVP during his playing days with the Grizzlies. ... This is Montgomery’s 31st winning season (in a 32-year career) as a college coach. ... Saturday’s tipoff at Stanford is set for 12:30 p.m. MST. The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks. The Cardinal are 15-8 against the Utes and have won the last two meetings.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20