SALT LAKE CITY — Lawmakers in the Utah Senate showed early support Wednesday for a bill that would change the way the state's controversial school grades are calculated.
SB209, sponsored by Sen. Stuart Adams, R-Layton, would exclude alternative high schools, new schools and students with an individualized learning program from the calculation of school grades. The bill would also penalize schools with a low testing participation with a single letter grade deduction, rather than the current F grade those schools automatically receive.
During debate on the bill, Sen. Todd Weiler, R-Woods Cross, said two high schools in his Senate district — West High and Viewmont High — were penalized with an F grade. He said school grades, which were released for the first time last year, are a step in the right direction, and SB209 further improves the process of assessing school performance.
"This bill fixes that problem," Weiler said.
But Sen. Pat Jones, D-Holladay, spoke against school grading. She said individual schools manage unique challenges with unique resources — such as areas with high refugee and at-risk populations, and schools that receive federal grants — but are evaluated under a uniform standard of criteria.
"I just hate comparing schools that have more advantages than others," Jones said.
The bill was approved on second reading in a 17-8 vote. It will be read and voted on a third time prior to advancing to the House for consideration.
— Benjamin Wood
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in auto...
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- Car hydroplanes, pushes stranded vehicle on...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Officer being called a hero for saving Salt...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 77
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 54
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 41
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 38
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 17
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in... 12