Utah women's basketball: Utes face Washington in Pac-12 tournament
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SEATTLE — Utah takes on Washington in the first round of the Pac-12 women’s basketball tournament. The 11th-seeded Utes (11-18, 4-14) and sixth-seeded Huskies (17-12, 10-8) square off in the late game Thursday (9:30 p.m., Pac-12 Networks) at KeyArena.
The winner takes on third seed Oregon State Friday night in the quarterfinals.
In conference play this season, Washington edged Utah twice by one point. The Huskies prevailed 53-52 in overtime on Jan. 17 in Seattle and 67-66 in the Huntsman Center on Feb. 16.
“We’ve been good enough to compete, but we haven’t been good enough to finish,” Utah coach Anthony Levrets said in the Pac-12 teleconference earlier in the week. “Hopefully we do things we did against Washington just a little bit better.”
The Utes, who have lost eight of their last nine games, are led by senior forward Michelle Plouffe. The all-conference honoree is averaging 18.3 points and 10.4 rebounds per game. Forward Emily Potter was named to the conference’s all-freshman team. She’s averaging 10.4 points and 1.4 blocks.
Utah is 1-2 in the Pac-12 tournament. Last year, the Utes defeated Arizona 66-48 before falling to UCLA 54-43 in the quarterfinals. In 2012, they dropped a 67-54 decision to Colorado in the first round.
Pac-12 women’s basketball tournament
All times Mountain
Thursday’s games No. 8 UCLA vs. No. 9 Colorado, 1 p.m. (P12N) No. 5 USC vs. No. 12 Arizona, 3:30 p.m. (P12N). No. 7 Washington State vs. No. 10 Oregon, 7 p.m. (P12N) No. 6 Washington vs. No. 11 Utah, 9:30 p.m. (P12N)
Friday’s games No. 1 Stanford vs. Winner of 8/9, 1 p.m. (P12N)
No. 4 Arizona State vs. Winner of 5/12, 3:30 p.m. (P12N) No. 2 California vs. Winner of 7/10, 7 p.m. (P12N) No. 3 Oregon State vs. Winner of 6/11, 9:30 p.m. (P12N)
Saturday’s games Winner of Stanford/TBD vs. Winner of ASU/TBD, 7 p.m. (P12N) Winner of Cal/TBD vs. Winner of OSU/TBD, 9:30 p.m. (P12N)
Sunday’s game Championship, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 66
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37