SUU head coach Nick Robinson adds voice to court-storming debate on ESPN's 'Outside the Lines'
Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP
The debate of whether fans should be rush the court has taken center stage yet again, and Wednesday ESPN turned to Southern Utah University men's basketball coach Nick Robinson for his thoughts on the matter.
Robinson was a guest on ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” focusing on the court-storming. Robinson was asked about his experience with it because in 2004 he hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to help Stanford beat Arizona.
The shot ignited fans to storm to court.
Although Robinson called it a “great experience to be a part of," he said issues did arise quickly because fans began to get injured.
“I was pretty nervous. I was scared for a moment,” Robinson said. “There were others in situations at the bottom of that pile that were worse than I was. I felt I was protected by my teammates, but there were other individuals who were in dire circumstances and we needed to get people to their feet very, very quickly.”
The issue of court-storming has been re-examined throughout the country after the melee between Utah Valley University fans and the New Mexico State basketball team last week.
However, it hasn’t been the only case to catch national attention in the past week. South Carolina was fined $25,000 Monday for having fans storm the court after the Gamecocks upset Kentucky.
Robinson added on the show that he didn’t think security could prevent fans from rushing the court, especially in the heat of the moment.
He added that even after looking at his experience a decade later, he doesn’t think fans should be prevented from celebrating a victory in that fashion.
“I wouldn’t trade that experience at all,” he said.
Listen to the entire debate from "Outside the Lines" here.
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- North Carolina AD: School will respond to...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 161
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 67
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 32
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 20
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19