SUU head coach Nick Robinson adds voice to court-storming debate on ESPN's 'Outside the Lines'
Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP
The debate of whether fans should be rush the court has taken center stage yet again, and Wednesday ESPN turned to Southern Utah University men's basketball coach Nick Robinson for his thoughts on the matter.
Robinson was a guest on ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” focusing on the court-storming. Robinson was asked about his experience with it because in 2004 he hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to help Stanford beat Arizona.
The shot ignited fans to storm to court.
Although Robinson called it a “great experience to be a part of," he said issues did arise quickly because fans began to get injured.
“I was pretty nervous. I was scared for a moment,” Robinson said. “There were others in situations at the bottom of that pile that were worse than I was. I felt I was protected by my teammates, but there were other individuals who were in dire circumstances and we needed to get people to their feet very, very quickly.”
The issue of court-storming has been re-examined throughout the country after the melee between Utah Valley University fans and the New Mexico State basketball team last week.
However, it hasn’t been the only case to catch national attention in the past week. South Carolina was fined $25,000 Monday for having fans storm the court after the Gamecocks upset Kentucky.
Robinson added on the show that he didn’t think security could prevent fans from rushing the court, especially in the heat of the moment.
He added that even after looking at his experience a decade later, he doesn’t think fans should be prevented from celebrating a victory in that fashion.
“I wouldn’t trade that experience at all,” he said.
Listen to the entire debate from "Outside the Lines" here.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be Utah's...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 65
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 46
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 31
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 30
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 29