SUU head coach Nick Robinson adds voice to court-storming debate on ESPN's 'Outside the Lines'
Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP
The debate of whether fans should be rush the court has taken center stage yet again, and Wednesday ESPN turned to Southern Utah University men's basketball coach Nick Robinson for his thoughts on the matter.
Robinson was a guest on ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” focusing on the court-storming. Robinson was asked about his experience with it because in 2004 he hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to help Stanford beat Arizona.
The shot ignited fans to storm to court.
Although Robinson called it a “great experience to be a part of," he said issues did arise quickly because fans began to get injured.
“I was pretty nervous. I was scared for a moment,” Robinson said. “There were others in situations at the bottom of that pile that were worse than I was. I felt I was protected by my teammates, but there were other individuals who were in dire circumstances and we needed to get people to their feet very, very quickly.”
The issue of court-storming has been re-examined throughout the country after the melee between Utah Valley University fans and the New Mexico State basketball team last week.
However, it hasn’t been the only case to catch national attention in the past week. South Carolina was fined $25,000 Monday for having fans storm the court after the Gamecocks upset Kentucky.
Robinson added on the show that he didn’t think security could prevent fans from rushing the court, especially in the heat of the moment.
He added that even after looking at his experience a decade later, he doesn’t think fans should be prevented from celebrating a victory in that fashion.
“I wouldn’t trade that experience at all,” he said.
Listen to the entire debate from "Outside the Lines" here.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 28
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 22
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 10