Committee advances bill banning city dog-breed ordinances
SALT LAKE CITY — A Senate committee voted unanimously Wednesday to recommend a bill that would prohibit cities and towns from banning specific dog breeds.
HB97 sponsor Rep. Brian King, D-Salt Lake City, said South Jordan is one of 10 Utah municipalities with active ordinances banning specific dog breeds.
King said he originally opposed the idea of tying the hands of cities because he is a strong believer in local control.
But breed-discrimination ordinances are problematic, he said. They're often ambiguous as to what percentage of pit bull a dog needs must be for an ordinance to apply, King said.
Other issues come into play when people want to walk their dogs and cross city borders, he said.
Kathy Collings, a real estate agent and South Jordan resident, said after the meeting that the pit bull ban is a draw for potential residents.
"South Jordan has some standards in place that really appeal to people. They are comfortable knowing there is a ban in place," Collings said.
She said pit bulls are dangerous and become unpredictable without their owners.
South Jordan opposed the bill in a previous committee meeting but decided to stand down if the bill's effective date were delayed until Jan. 1, 2015.
The bill, which passed in the House with a 43-28 vote, now goes to the full Senate.
— Madeleine Brown
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19