Utah Jazz: Gee, Wiz, Jazz fall apart in Washington en route to 4th-straight loss
It just wasn’t enough against a playoff-bound Washington team, which improved to 32-29 with its seventh win in eight games. The Wiz received big outings from Ariza (4 of 6 from 3-point range), flashy point guard John Wall (14 points, 10 assists), up-and-coming shooting guard Bradley Beal (22 points) and 6-11 brute Marcin Gortat (16 points, nine rebounds).
Corbin thought the Jazz especially struggled to defend the pick-and-roll when Gortat would set screens to allow Wall to drive on either side. From there, the former Kentucky player either scored or dished out to dangerous perimeter guys like Ariza and Beal.
“John Wall’s a load,” Corbin said. “They were adjusting the pick-and-rolls. We didn’t do a good job of keeping him one way once the screen came up.”
The Jazz were also killed by miscues as the Wiz scored 23 points off of 13 turnovers and benefited from Utah’s 13-for-22 free-throw shooting.
The result was a third double-digit loss in four games and the 31st loss this season by at least 10 points.
“The past two games, the Milwaukee game (114-88 loss), our energy just wasn’t there and tonight, you know, it was the same type of thing,” Hayward said. “I thought we competed a little bit down the stretch, but it’s hard when you get down in a hole like that to come all the way back, especially on the road.”
NOTES: Former University of Utah star Andre Miller dished out six assists in 13 minutes for the Wizards. He was traded to Washington from Denver last month. The Jazz are now tied with the Lakers for the worst record in the Western Conference at 21-40. Utah dropped to a 7-24 on the road, lowest in the West.
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 17