Utah Jazz: Gee, Wiz, Jazz fall apart in Washington en route to 4th-straight loss
It just wasn’t enough against a playoff-bound Washington team, which improved to 32-29 with its seventh win in eight games. The Wiz received big outings from Ariza (4 of 6 from 3-point range), flashy point guard John Wall (14 points, 10 assists), up-and-coming shooting guard Bradley Beal (22 points) and 6-11 brute Marcin Gortat (16 points, nine rebounds).
Corbin thought the Jazz especially struggled to defend the pick-and-roll when Gortat would set screens to allow Wall to drive on either side. From there, the former Kentucky player either scored or dished out to dangerous perimeter guys like Ariza and Beal.
“John Wall’s a load,” Corbin said. “They were adjusting the pick-and-rolls. We didn’t do a good job of keeping him one way once the screen came up.”
The Jazz were also killed by miscues as the Wiz scored 23 points off of 13 turnovers and benefited from Utah’s 13-for-22 free-throw shooting.
The result was a third double-digit loss in four games and the 31st loss this season by at least 10 points.
“The past two games, the Milwaukee game (114-88 loss), our energy just wasn’t there and tonight, you know, it was the same type of thing,” Hayward said. “I thought we competed a little bit down the stretch, but it’s hard when you get down in a hole like that to come all the way back, especially on the road.”
NOTES: Former University of Utah star Andre Miller dished out six assists in 13 minutes for the Wizards. He was traded to Washington from Denver last month. The Jazz are now tied with the Lakers for the worst record in the Western Conference at 21-40. Utah dropped to a 7-24 on the road, lowest in the West.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 20
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7