What's new: 'Power to Become' third in series on learning by Elder Bednar
"POWER TO BECOME," by David A. Bednar, Deseret Book, $23.99, 194 pages (nf)
"And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen" (Moroni 10:34).
"A simple question arises in my mind and heart from this benedictory scripture: How could and did Moroni come to know in mortality that the judgment bar of the great Jehovah would be pleasing?" Elder Bednar wrote in the book's preface. "Can you and I, like Moroni, truly come to know that the path we are pursuing in our lives pleases God? And if it is possible to know these things, how can we know? Such questions indeed are some of the most pointed and poignant questions of the soul."
In "Power to Become," Elder Bednar presents gospel truths, principles and patterns that can help readers as they strive to find answers and become more like the Savior.
"As we increase in learning about the Savior and his gospel, as we strive with ever greater consistency to act in his doctrine, ordinances, and covenants, then we are blessed with power through his Atonement to increasingly become like him," Elder Bednar wrote in the preface. "Our hearts and natures are changed, and our desires are directed to him and his purposes."
Like those books, "Power to Become" is designed for an interactive experience. The book has been formatted with extra-wide margins for writing notes. Each chapter concludes with a few questions and invitations to consider and spark personal inspiration. Each chapter includes a QR code and printed URL to seek.deseretbook.com that link to short videos of discussions conducted with various groups regarding topics addressed in the book. A DVD of the discussions is free with purchase while available.
Elder Bednar hopes this book will motivate readers "to ponder, pray, reflect, evaluate, act and progress spiritually," he wrote.
"May the combination of your faith in the Savior, your willingness to act as an agent, the text, and the learning experiences in which you will engage invite the Holy Ghost to help you more fully understand basic gospel truths and spiritual patterns," the apostle wrote, "to the end that each of us may be blessed to receive the power to become."
Elder Bednar was called as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 2004. Prior to his call, he served as the president of BYU-Idaho.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior is Born'...
- Elder Oaks gives special Thanksgiving...
- New Joseph Smith Papers volume provides...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- A lesson a little girl learned while seeing...
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is Born'...
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 25
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a... 10
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for... 5
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares... 2
- Lexi Walker performs arrangement of... 2
- The most grateful religions in America,... 2