Former BYU quarterback John Beck signs with CFL's BC Lions
Hans Deryk, ASSOCIATED PRESS
A former BYU quarterback is going north of the border to try and revive his pro career.
The BC Lions announced Tuesday that John Beck has signed with the team. This comes after the Cougars' third-leading all-time passer spent last season off a football roster.
Beck joins another Cougar quarterback, Max Hall, in the CFL ranks. Hall played for Winnipeg last season, earning one win as a starter in a difficult 3-15 campaign for the Blue Bombers.
In British Columbia, Beck will likely be fighting for backup time behind Travis Lulay, who has started 45 games for the Lions the past three seasons and has thrown for 14,813 yards in his CFL career. Lulay had off-season shoulder surgery, but his recovery is ahead of schedule, according to the Vancouver Sun.
Former LSU quarterback Jarrett Lee also officially signed with BC on Tuesday, while nine-year CFL veteran Buck Pierce retired after rejoining the Lions last season. That leaves BC with five quarterbacks on its current roster.
Beck was in the NFL for six seasons, most recently with the Houston Texans in 2012 before being released mid-season. After being drafted in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins — where Beck lasted just two seasons — he also spent time on three other squads, including the Texans, Washington Redskins and Baltimore Ravens.
During his NFL career, Beck went 0-7 as a starter and completed 58.6 percent of his passes for 1,417 yards, three touchdowns and seven interceptions. He last played in an NFL regular-season game on Nov. 6, 2011, completing 30-of-47 passes for 254 yards, a touchdown and an interception in a 19-11 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7