Coming off a rainy trip to Southern California, BYU women’s tennis looks to resume play this week when it faces Nevada on Thursday at noon MST and San Francisco on Saturday at noon in its West Coast Conference opener, both at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“It was hard to travel last week and not get to play,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “I think the girls are really excited to compete at home again and get into conference matches.”
The Cougars (2-4) were rained out last weekend in matches against No. 57 UC Irvine and No. 55 Long Beach State but look to even their record with contests against the Wolfpack (5-3) and the Dons (7-3).
“A lot of our matches this year have shown that doubles point is key for bringing the energy,” Jones-Spencer said. “We’ve been working on being positive in practice and having good energy. Hopefully we can transition it and show it in our matches.”
BYU has taken the doubles point in both wins this season while losing the doubles in all four losses.
The Cougars are 4-0 all-time against Nevada and 3-1 against San Francisco. Since joining the WCC in 2011, they have a 1-1 record in conference openers. Before this week’s ITA rankings, the conference had five teams ranked in the top 75, including the Cougars.
Next weekend, BYU will head out to Tempe, Ariz., to face two top 50 opponents in Yale and Arizona State on March 14 and 15, respectively.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by poor...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball struggles...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 33
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 33
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 19
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'... 14