Tyler Golden, NBC
R&B superstar Usher added another Utah County musician to his team on an episode of "The Voice," which aired Monday night on NBC. Tanner James, 19, of Provo, will be joining Team Usher for the sixth season of the popular TV singing competition.
Though James was not featured prominently in the episode, his blind audition was shown briefly. He sang "Heaven" by Bryan Adams and was selected by Usher, who called him a diamond in the rough.
"I think that they had to listen to a lot of people in the blind auditions and Usher was pretty selective about who he turns around for, so the fact that he chose me to be one of his ‘diamonds in the rough’ was like, ‘Wow. What a huge compliment,'" James said in a conference call Tuesday.
Usher is one of four coaches on "The Voice," joining Adam Levine, Blake Shelton and Shakira. This is just Usher's second season on the show. He joined the show with Shakira in spring of 2013, but the two took a season off before rejoining the coaching crew in 2014.
As soon as NBC announced that Usher and Shakira would continue as coaches for season 6, James knew he wanted to work with Usher.
"I feel like he really knows his stuff," James said. "He knows the business and he wants it. I know he wants to win."
James also said that he appreciates Usher's long-term style of coaching. "I think Usher is different from the other coaches. He’s not really focused on what the next song is going to be on the show. He has kind of communicated that he cares more about my career in (its) entirety."
James graduated from Timpview High School in 2012 and attended Snow College before returning home to focus on his music career. Part of that decision was based on a change in culture that James has noticed in Provo.
"It's starting to change into kind of like a little music town," James said. "It’s getting a reputation for promoting artists." Popular acts that have recently come from Utah County include Neon Trees, The Used, Imagine Dragons, and "The Voice" alumni Ryan Innes and Amy Whitcomb.
James is excited to work alongside fellow Provo resident Madilyn Paige, who chose to join Team Usher in an episode that aired last week. "It’s awesome," James said. "I’m not feeling competitive towards her at all. I’m just so happy that we can, both of us, represent Provo. No matter how it turns out, Provo wins."
Season 6 of “The Voice” airs Monday nights on NBC from 7 p.m.-9 p.m. and Tuesday from 7-8 p.m. (MST).
- Summer movie preview: A look at 21 films and...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Here's my favorite 'Age of Ultron' plot twist
- The most important sacrifice you can make for...
- 5-year-old boy uses unique superpower to save...
- 5-year-old rings bell, celebrates end of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 52
- What not to say to a woman struggling... 19
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- From the makeup aisle: Advice from a... 5
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 3
- The case for renewing the War on Poverty 2
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases... 1
- What does a Dutch cereal farm have to... 1