Committee OKs bill to help victims get information about rape exams
Jordan Allred Deseret News,
SALT LAKE CITY — A House committee unanimously recommended a bill Tuesday that would improve communication between sexual assault victims and law enforcement.
HB157 looks to clarify a victim's bill of rights when it comes to receiving information about forensic exams, such as rape kits.
The bill requires victims be notified whether the evidence has been submitted for DNA analysis and about the results of analysis. It also requires the investigating agency to tell the victim if it chooses not to have the evidence analyzed or intends to dispose of the evidence, said House Minority Leader Jen Seelig, D-Salt Lake City, the bill's sponsor.
"Sadly, I will also say it is embarrassing that we have to bring a bill like this forward. ... Apparently we have somehow fallen short," said West Valley Police Chief Lee Russo, noting that a victim's rights are "paramount."
Many sexual assault victims have "no idea" what's going on with their cases, according to Alana Kindness with the Utah Coalition Against Sexual Assault.
"It doesn’t give them access to any information that don’t already have the right to have or require law enforcement to disclose any info they’re not already entitled to disclose to victims of a crime," Kindness said.
Holly Mullen, executive director of the Rape Recovery Center, said one in three Utah women and one in six Utah men will be affected by some sort of sexual violence in their lives.
Mullen said a woman in her 20s came into her office Monday and attributed some of her suicidal tendencies to the "extreme" length of time she's been waiting for information about her rape case.
"This is one piece, one step to try and combat these crimes," Seelig said.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 41
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Police break silence about... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 12
- New definition of homeless would give... 12