BYU's Jennifer Hamson wins WCC Player of the Year honor
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Monday was a good day for both the BYU men's and women's basketball teams.
While BYU's star guard Tyler Haws collected West Coast Conference Player of the Year on the men's side, BYU center Jennifer Hamson swept both WCC's Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year awards on the women's side.
Hamson is the first women's basketball player to win both awards in the same season in WCC history.
The senior center averaged 18.5 points and 11.4 rebounds per game during the season, shooting a robust 57 percent from the floor. She also averaged 3.9 blocks per contest for the 24-5 Lady Cougars.
Hamson was also named to the all-WCC first team list. BYU guard Lexi Eaton was also named to the first team list. Kim Beeston and Morgan Bailey were each named to WCC's honorable mention list.
BYU has the No. 2 seed in the upcoming WCC women's basketball tournament after finishing 14-4 in conference play. Gonzaga has the top seed after a 26-4 season.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37