BYU's Jennifer Hamson wins WCC Player of the Year honor
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Monday was a good day for both the BYU men's and women's basketball teams.
While BYU's star guard Tyler Haws collected West Coast Conference Player of the Year on the men's side, BYU center Jennifer Hamson swept both WCC's Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year awards on the women's side.
Hamson is the first women's basketball player to win both awards in the same season in WCC history.
The senior center averaged 18.5 points and 11.4 rebounds per game during the season, shooting a robust 57 percent from the floor. She also averaged 3.9 blocks per contest for the 24-5 Lady Cougars.
Hamson was also named to the all-WCC first team list. BYU guard Lexi Eaton was also named to the first team list. Kim Beeston and Morgan Bailey were each named to WCC's honorable mention list.
BYU has the No. 2 seed in the upcoming WCC women's basketball tournament after finishing 14-4 in conference play. Gonzaga has the top seed after a 26-4 season.
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22