A raise in the minimum wage is only a temporary solution to a problem that the government can't really solve, anyway. Wage is relative. When the minimum wage is raised, eventually everyone's wage is raised. Prices are raised, The person earning the minimum wage is eventually reduced to the same state he or she was at before the minimum wage was raised.
It should be up to the person who is earning the minimum wage to find a way to increase his or her earning power, either through advancement in the current job or through education so that they can qualify for something better.
Loyalty to an employer is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't pay bills. Usually, the employer doesn't reciprocate. It's up to the individual to take the responsibility to take care of themselves.
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is threatened...
- My view: Prison relocation study is being...
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant
- Richard Davis: Another conflict of interest...
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible for...
- Letter: Divorce risks
- Hinkins & King: No losers in Utah’s...
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant 54
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible... 43
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is... 29
- My view: Prison relocation study is... 23
- Letter: Keep fighting drugs 21
- Michael Gerson: Religious... 19
- Richard Davis: Another conflict of... 19
- My view: Higher ed students can better... 18