1 of 1
Shutterstock
Members of the House Education Committee on Monday approved a bill that requires education buildings to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.

SALT LAKE CITY — A bill requiring carbon monoxide detectors in schools cleared a House committee hearing Monday on its way to final passage.

SB58, sponsored by Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City, has passed two committee hearings and floor debate in the Senate — with commanding majorities in each instance — and will now go before the House for consideration.

1 comment on this story

The bill is partly in response to an incident in November at Montezuma Creek Elementary School in which 43 children and adults were sickened by a carbon monoxide leak. SB58 requires that buildings or structures used for the education of students through grade 12 be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.

"It’s a very simple fix, and I think it gives local school districts a little more teeth to get in and get things done," said Rep. Larry Wiley, D-West Valley City, the bill's House sponsor.

The bill does not provide funding for the installation of carbon monoxide detectors, which Dabakis estimated Monday to be roughly $825 per school.

— Benjamin Wood