Balancing act: Telework Week poll dispels work-life myths
“As organizations continue to squeeze more people into less square footage, they will be increasingly confronted with the limitations of open office plans and forced to accept that work-life flexibility is a solution to where, when and how employees can get their work done with greater focus and performance,” Yost said in the prepared statement.
“Whether they work remotely or together on site, we need to help employees develop the critical skill set needed to manage their work-life fit so they can successfully capture the best of collaborative and remote work environments.”
It's true that most companies will need their employees to work together in the same place quite often. For example, the team of writers and editors I manage is a highly collaborative group, passing projects back and forth and engaging in spirited conversations about what we should and shouldn't be doing.
However, many members of my team also work from home at least one day each week, and that has had primarily positive effects on our projects. They often tell me that they're able to push through a lot of work when they're home, away from the distractions of Cubeville. When they come back to the office, they're ready to get down to business and work together.
I hope that, when they're sitting in their home offices or at their kitchen tables this week, my team members will be thankful for the work-life flexibility they have. I also hope more of us will be able to enjoy our own Telework Week celebrations from somewhere other than a cubicle in the years to come.
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Why some handsome men have trouble finding work
- Why it's important to be yourself at work
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- Can a company really be altruistic?
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 18
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 5
- Why some handsome men have trouble... 2
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is... 1
- Why college matters more today than 20... 1