Balancing act: Telework Week poll dispels work-life myths
“As organizations continue to squeeze more people into less square footage, they will be increasingly confronted with the limitations of open office plans and forced to accept that work-life flexibility is a solution to where, when and how employees can get their work done with greater focus and performance,” Yost said in the prepared statement.
“Whether they work remotely or together on site, we need to help employees develop the critical skill set needed to manage their work-life fit so they can successfully capture the best of collaborative and remote work environments.”
It's true that most companies will need their employees to work together in the same place quite often. For example, the team of writers and editors I manage is a highly collaborative group, passing projects back and forth and engaging in spirited conversations about what we should and shouldn't be doing.
However, many members of my team also work from home at least one day each week, and that has had primarily positive effects on our projects. They often tell me that they're able to push through a lot of work when they're home, away from the distractions of Cubeville. When they come back to the office, they're ready to get down to business and work together.
I hope that, when they're sitting in their home offices or at their kitchen tables this week, my team members will be thankful for the work-life flexibility they have. I also hope more of us will be able to enjoy our own Telework Week celebrations from somewhere other than a cubicle in the years to come.
- 25 cities that are winning at education
- 4 warning signs your teen is destined for bad...
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- Markets brace for Big Oil profit plunge
- How can Google snap its stock out of its stupor?
- Tess Frame: Five reasons you’re still...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 62
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 5
- Want to save money in 2015?... 4
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- Obama to seek to bust spending limits... 3
- 5 reasons your most talented employees... 3
- Want a one-of-a-kind name for your... 2