Balancing act: Telework Week poll dispels work-life myths
“As organizations continue to squeeze more people into less square footage, they will be increasingly confronted with the limitations of open office plans and forced to accept that work-life flexibility is a solution to where, when and how employees can get their work done with greater focus and performance,” Yost said in the prepared statement.
“Whether they work remotely or together on site, we need to help employees develop the critical skill set needed to manage their work-life fit so they can successfully capture the best of collaborative and remote work environments.”
It's true that most companies will need their employees to work together in the same place quite often. For example, the team of writers and editors I manage is a highly collaborative group, passing projects back and forth and engaging in spirited conversations about what we should and shouldn't be doing.
However, many members of my team also work from home at least one day each week, and that has had primarily positive effects on our projects. They often tell me that they're able to push through a lot of work when they're home, away from the distractions of Cubeville. When they come back to the office, they're ready to get down to business and work together.
I hope that, when they're sitting in their home offices or at their kitchen tables this week, my team members will be thankful for the work-life flexibility they have. I also hope more of us will be able to enjoy our own Telework Week celebrations from somewhere other than a cubicle in the years to come.
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 1