BYU football: Cougar offense looking for more points, passing production in 2014
“We’re going to look at him in the spring to see what he can offer out there,” said Poppinga. “We’re not going to just say, ‘Hey, you’re an outside ‘backer.’ It’s something we’re going to look at and see if it’s something he can handle. In the past nine years that we’ve run this defense, the outside linebackers have been the key components to the defense. They’re the main guys on the defense. They make most of the plays and drive the defense to success, I think. It’s all 11 guys, but the highlight of our defense is the outside ‘backers. We’re not just going to throw anyone out there. He’s going to have to earn it. We’ll see what happens.”
At cornerback, Trent Trammell, a junior college transfer who suffered a season-ending knee injury on the first day of spring drills last March, returns to practice Monday. Trammell has two years of eligibility remaining.
“Trenton is winning almost every (conditioning) drill (during offseason workouts),” Mendenhall said. “He’s really doing a nice job.”
Cornerback Jordan Johnson, who sustained a season-ending knee injury during fall camp is “really close to being able to return to full-speed cutting and change-of-direction. Jordan will not participate in spring. Trent will.”
Poppinga said he’s looking forward to getting back onto the practice field.
“I know the players are anxious to get back onto the field and not have to condition and run,” he said. “They’re ready to play football. As coaches, we’re ready to go coach.”
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 36
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25