BYU football: Cougar offense looking for more points, passing production in 2014
“We’re going to look at him in the spring to see what he can offer out there,” said Poppinga. “We’re not going to just say, ‘Hey, you’re an outside ‘backer.’ It’s something we’re going to look at and see if it’s something he can handle. In the past nine years that we’ve run this defense, the outside linebackers have been the key components to the defense. They’re the main guys on the defense. They make most of the plays and drive the defense to success, I think. It’s all 11 guys, but the highlight of our defense is the outside ‘backers. We’re not just going to throw anyone out there. He’s going to have to earn it. We’ll see what happens.”
At cornerback, Trent Trammell, a junior college transfer who suffered a season-ending knee injury on the first day of spring drills last March, returns to practice Monday. Trammell has two years of eligibility remaining.
“Trenton is winning almost every (conditioning) drill (during offseason workouts),” Mendenhall said. “He’s really doing a nice job.”
Cornerback Jordan Johnson, who sustained a season-ending knee injury during fall camp is “really close to being able to return to full-speed cutting and change-of-direction. Jordan will not participate in spring. Trent will.”
Poppinga said he’s looking forward to getting back onto the practice field.
“I know the players are anxious to get back onto the field and not have to condition and run,” he said. “They’re ready to play football. As coaches, we’re ready to go coach.”
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30