Behind clutch play in doubles and an all-around team effort, BYU men’s tennis dominated Idaho, sweeping the match 7-0 on Saturday.
The Cougars (6-7) stole the show in doubles, riding that momentum to set up the sweep over the Vandals (5-8).
“We paid the price this week in practice,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “Hopefully the guys should be able to see the relationship between hard, dedicated, intense work and success.”
With new doubles combinations, BYU came out strong, narrowly edging Idaho in two of the three matches.
Freshmen Jeremy Bourgeois and Sterling Galli answered with a close win of their own at third doubles over Matt Oddonetto and Cesar Torres, 8-6, which then put the focus on the match at second doubles.
“Sterling and Jeremy getting the win put it on Francis and Matthew and I thought they closed that out brilliantly in the tiebreaker,” coach Pearce said. “It was truly playing to win, rather than not to lose.”
The Cougars cruised in singles action, winning five of the six matches in straight sets.
The captain and 114th-ranked player Sargeant led out by dominating his opponent, 6-2, 6-2, for his 11th win in 2014. Goryachkov also claimed a victory, ousting Artemiy Nikitin, 6-4, 6-3.
All four freshmen came away victorious in singles as well. Bourgeois defeated Cristobal Ramos in two sets, 6-3, 6-4, and Jacob Sullivan overpowered Sam Laudon, 6-1, 6-2.
Pfister upended Odon Barta’s comeback bid by taking the win in the third set, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. Matthew Pearce ended the night for the Cougars by handily defeating Torres, 6-2, 6-4, to complete the match sweep.
BYU travels down to Albuquerque, N.M., for matches against New Mexico and No. 39 Texas Tech on Friday at 1 p.m. MST and Saturday at 11 a.m., respectively.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup: Baylor,...
- Twitter reacts to Big 12 expansion developments
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down Big 12...
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- College football countdown No. 43: BYU...
- Athlete's tribute: 'Show me a legend and...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37