It has been said that the people of Utah will do anything for the education of their children — except pay money. The same may be said about the elimination of air pollution. These are perhaps a little harsh, but they carry some truth.
Substantial reduction in air pollution will cost money and we won't accomplish it without sacrifice and determination.
The economy based on the automobile is Utah's entitlement. It doesn't come anywhere near to paying for its social costs, infrastructure and pollution.
By doubling or substantially increasing the motor fuel tax, the general fund resources now being appropriated to highway construction and repair could also be used to pay for pollution elimination, like assisting in conversions of wood fireplaces to natural gas heating. It could also further assist in conversions of automobiles to natural gas as well as encourage greater use of mass transit.
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 30
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 21
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice... 13