BYU track: Ward, Bringhurst lead the way at MPSF Championships
“We had some great performances,” BYU head coach Ed Eyestone said. “We went in with overall team goals to get 36 personal bests between the men and the women, and we came within one of that, so it was an overall good team performance.”
Ward, already a national qualifier in the 5000 meters, took sixth in the 3000 meters with a time of 7:52.51, good for a spot in the national meet and the No. 4 best time in BYU history.
Bringhurst took second in the pole vault as the highest placing Cougar in any event for the meet, clearing 5.45 meters.
“Braydon has been one of our most consistent performers all season,” Eyestone said. "He showed up again today and was one of the highlights of the meet."
Joshua Weirich set a personal best with 5494 points in the heptathlon, good for fourth place. Jason Witt ran a 13:42.17 in the 5000 meters, the 20th fastest time in the country this year and good for fourth place in the meet. Zachary Stetler set a personal best in the shot put with a mark of 17.81 meters to finish in fifth place.
Full results can be found on the Huskies website.
BYU next competes at the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 14-15 in Albuquerque, N.M., before the beginning of the outdoor season.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34