BYU track: Ward, Bringhurst lead the way at MPSF Championships
“We had some great performances,” BYU head coach Ed Eyestone said. “We went in with overall team goals to get 36 personal bests between the men and the women, and we came within one of that, so it was an overall good team performance.”
Ward, already a national qualifier in the 5000 meters, took sixth in the 3000 meters with a time of 7:52.51, good for a spot in the national meet and the No. 4 best time in BYU history.
Bringhurst took second in the pole vault as the highest placing Cougar in any event for the meet, clearing 5.45 meters.
“Braydon has been one of our most consistent performers all season,” Eyestone said. "He showed up again today and was one of the highlights of the meet."
Joshua Weirich set a personal best with 5494 points in the heptathlon, good for fourth place. Jason Witt ran a 13:42.17 in the 5000 meters, the 20th fastest time in the country this year and good for fourth place in the meet. Zachary Stetler set a personal best in the shot put with a mark of 17.81 meters to finish in fifth place.
Full results can be found on the Huskies website.
BYU next competes at the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 14-15 in Albuquerque, N.M., before the beginning of the outdoor season.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: email@example.com
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- BYU guard Tyler Haws named CLASS award candidate
- BYU coach Dave Rose competing in coaches'...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'... 14
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the... 12