Dick Harmon: Former BYU football players Justin Sorensen, Austin Holt talk about challenges of postseason injuries
Sorensen said it hit him the other day when he thought of calling his football buddies to help him move. “You’d think I’d know some big, strong guys I could call, but as I went down the list, this guy had shoulder surgery, this guy had hip issues and another had this or that.”
During his college career, Sorensen participated in only one spring camp. Holt played in only two.
“When I went to schedule my surgeries, I looked at the doctor’s calendar and it said, 'Player, player, player, me, player, somebody else, player, player. ... It’s just the violence of the sport,” Holt said.
Said Sorensen: “Yeah, it isn’t anything from our training or workouts. It’s just getting hit by big guys, colliding bodies. You get two guys hitting each other and it takes a toll. I should be 6-4 but now I’m just 6-2.”
Many times over the past few months, Holt has had family members ask if what he’s been through has been worth it.
“I say yes, it was worth it. It was a cool experience and now we’re reminiscing. I got to play at Florida State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Texas. I got to play in Dallas Cowboys Stadium, where the Texans play in Houston, and where the San Diego Chargers play.”
Said Sorensen: “I scored points at Notre Dame. I can tell my grandkids that.”
“The thing is,” Sorensen continued, defensive of his teammates, “when you hear somebody criticize how an offensive lineman is playing out there, they have no idea what they may be going through — a hip issue, a broken-down shoulder or a painful stinger. You just don’t know.”
He’s right. Few understand what it takes to get on and off the field during a long football season.
So I left this duo to their hot dogs, thanked them for their time.
They deserve the time off to lick wounds and remember the good old days.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Coach Steve Kerr: Warriors on brink but ready...
- San Jose Sharks head to 1st Cup final after...
- LeBron, Love power Cavaliers to 116-78 romp...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 69
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 39
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 34
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19
- Doug Robinson: Take heart, Jazz fans,... 15