Dick Harmon: Former BYU football players Justin Sorensen, Austin Holt talk about challenges of postseason injuries
Sorensen said it hit him the other day when he thought of calling his football buddies to help him move. “You’d think I’d know some big, strong guys I could call, but as I went down the list, this guy had shoulder surgery, this guy had hip issues and another had this or that.”
During his college career, Sorensen participated in only one spring camp. Holt played in only two.
“When I went to schedule my surgeries, I looked at the doctor’s calendar and it said, 'Player, player, player, me, player, somebody else, player, player. ... It’s just the violence of the sport,” Holt said.
Said Sorensen: “Yeah, it isn’t anything from our training or workouts. It’s just getting hit by big guys, colliding bodies. You get two guys hitting each other and it takes a toll. I should be 6-4 but now I’m just 6-2.”
Many times over the past few months, Holt has had family members ask if what he’s been through has been worth it.
“I say yes, it was worth it. It was a cool experience and now we’re reminiscing. I got to play at Florida State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Texas. I got to play in Dallas Cowboys Stadium, where the Texans play in Houston, and where the San Diego Chargers play.”
Said Sorensen: “I scored points at Notre Dame. I can tell my grandkids that.”
“The thing is,” Sorensen continued, defensive of his teammates, “when you hear somebody criticize how an offensive lineman is playing out there, they have no idea what they may be going through — a hip issue, a broken-down shoulder or a painful stinger. You just don’t know.”
He’s right. Few understand what it takes to get on and off the field during a long football season.
So I left this duo to their hot dogs, thanked them for their time.
They deserve the time off to lick wounds and remember the good old days.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21