BYU women's basketball: Cougars beat San Diego on senior night
"There are moments when this team can be a machine," head coach Jeff Judkins said. "They executed defensively and offensively. We have so many weapons. Tonight we had four girls in double figures. Each of them had their turn in spurts and that's what makes this team great."
With the win over San Diego, BYU is guaranteed a No. 2 seed in the WCC tournament.
Amy Kane was the leading scorer for the Toreros with 16 points.
At the start of the game Lexi Eaton put up the Cougars’ first points with a 3-pointer at 16:26, bringing the score to 6-3 in favor of San Diego.
BYU then went on a 13-0 run spanning over 3:14. An additional 3-pointer was put up by Xojian Harry, while Kim Beeston added two more to the mix. The Cougars went 5-for-9 in the first half from downtown with Beeston as the leader, while the Toreros went 0-for-2.
The run quickly progressed to 22-4 over a five-minute span, capped off by a final total of three 3-pointers by Beeston to end the half.
BYU led in assists at the break, earning 12, while San Diego earned just four. The Cougars took a 17-point lead, 39-22, after the first 20 minutes of action.
The Toreros started the second half with a 6-0 run, which the Cougars didn’t let last very long. With 14:50 showing on the clock, the score was 46-33, giving BYU a comfortable lead.
San Diego went on 13-4 run cutting the lead to 10, 38-48, but that's as close as it would get.
The Cougars picked things up again with a 3-pointer from Beeston to bring the score to 59-48. With 2:06 left on the clock, BYU had a comfortable 19-point advantage, 70-51.
At the conclusion of the game, Hamson and Beeston, the team's two seniors, were honored.
BYU will play next in the West Coast Conference tournament which takes place at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas beginning March 6. The official seedings will be announced Sunday.
Royce Hinton is the assistant women's basketball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39