BYU women's basketball: Cougars beat San Diego on senior night
"There are moments when this team can be a machine," head coach Jeff Judkins said. "They executed defensively and offensively. We have so many weapons. Tonight we had four girls in double figures. Each of them had their turn in spurts and that's what makes this team great."
With the win over San Diego, BYU is guaranteed a No. 2 seed in the WCC tournament.
Amy Kane was the leading scorer for the Toreros with 16 points.
At the start of the game Lexi Eaton put up the Cougars’ first points with a 3-pointer at 16:26, bringing the score to 6-3 in favor of San Diego.
BYU then went on a 13-0 run spanning over 3:14. An additional 3-pointer was put up by Xojian Harry, while Kim Beeston added two more to the mix. The Cougars went 5-for-9 in the first half from downtown with Beeston as the leader, while the Toreros went 0-for-2.
The run quickly progressed to 22-4 over a five-minute span, capped off by a final total of three 3-pointers by Beeston to end the half.
BYU led in assists at the break, earning 12, while San Diego earned just four. The Cougars took a 17-point lead, 39-22, after the first 20 minutes of action.
The Toreros started the second half with a 6-0 run, which the Cougars didn’t let last very long. With 14:50 showing on the clock, the score was 46-33, giving BYU a comfortable lead.
San Diego went on 13-4 run cutting the lead to 10, 38-48, but that's as close as it would get.
The Cougars picked things up again with a 3-pointer from Beeston to bring the score to 59-48. With 2:06 left on the clock, BYU had a comfortable 19-point advantage, 70-51.
At the conclusion of the game, Hamson and Beeston, the team's two seniors, were honored.
BYU will play next in the West Coast Conference tournament which takes place at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas beginning March 6. The official seedings will be announced Sunday.
Royce Hinton is the assistant women's basketball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14